Tomorrow, March 8, 2014, will be celebrated as:
International Women’s Day!
Each year International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. The first International Women’s Day was held in 1911. So, this year, we will celebrate 104th International Women’s Day.
My Best Wishes for a Happy International Women’s Day to All Women – especially to the two most special women in my life….off course, my daughter and my wife
A 1932 Soviet poster for International Women’s Day. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
International Women’s Day is instituted to commemorate the great contributions made by women to our society, global peace and security, over generations since the dawn of universe. During the 20th and 21st centuries particularly, women have made tremendous progress in every walk of life, every strata of society, and every field of science, engineering, medicine, law and technology. Women’s Emancipation has truly taken a new meaning as the women have traveled to space, and fought alongside men in the battlefields.
Dawn Of Womanhood (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Literally, reams of paper and reels of films must have been dedicated by now to describe a woman, to capture the secret underlying womanhood, to decode the mystery behind women’s exceptional inner strength, to analyze and demystify the secrets behind women’s admirable leadership skills. And yet the woman still continues to stay an enigma. Her enigma embodies her intelligence, empathy, strength, courage, determination, daring, and off course the beauty that has never been just skin-deep.
Hedy Lamarr (1913 – 2000). Beautiful Hollywood Actress & Brilliant Inventor of Wireless Communication.
Inspiring Change is the 2014 theme for International Women’s Day 2014. It calls for challenging the status quo for women’s equality and vigilance inspiring positive change.
The United Nations usually declares an annual theme. Here are some of the themes declared by United Nations.:
- 2013: A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women
- 2012: Empower Rural Women – End Hunger and Poverty
- 2011: Equal access to education, training and science and technology
- 2010: Equal rights, equal opportunities: Progress for all
- 2009: Women and men united to end violence against women and girls
- 2008: Investing in Women and Girls
- 2007: Ending Impunity for Violence against Women and Girls
- 2006: Women in decision-making
- 2005: Gender Equality Beyond 2005: Building a More Secure Future
- 2004: Women and HIV/AIDS
- 2003: Gender Equality and the Millennium Development Goals
- 2002: Afghan Women Today: Realities and Opportunities
- 2001: Women and Peace: Women Managing Conflicts
- 2000: Women Uniting for Peace
- 1999: World Free of Violence against Women
- 1998: Women and Human Rights
- 1997: Women at the Peace Table
- 1996: Celebrating the Past, Planning for the Future
- 1975: United Nations recognizes International Women’s Day
Princess Grace Kelly of Monaco. The Unique Combination of Inner Beauty and Amazing Grace.
We respectfully salute and celebrate the spirit of womanhood today, on March 8, 2014, the International Women’s Day, with insightful quotes that eloquently capture the amazing qualities and significant contributions of all wonderful women worldwide.
Happy International Women’s Day!
Massachusetts, Saturday, March 8, 2014.
Deodatta V. Shenai-Khatkhate.
Declaration of the Rights of Woman and the Female Citizen, 1791. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Here are some of my favorite quotes as respectful tribute to International Women’s Day.:
v Barbara Bush
Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President’s spouse. I wish him well!
v Katherine Hepburn
Sometimes I wonder if men and women really suit each other. Perhaps they should live next door and just visit now and then.
v Carolyn Kenmore
You have to have the kind of body that doesn’t need a girdle in order to get to pose in one.
v Anita Wise
A lot of men think the larger a woman’s breasts are, the less intelligent she is. I don’t think it works like that. I think it’s the opposite. I think the larger a woman’s breasts are, the less intelligent the men become.
- Barbara Bush Post Presidential Portrait (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Arnold Haultain
A woman can say more in a sigh than a man can say in a sermon.
v Ogden Nash
I have an idea that the phrase “weaker sex” was coined by some woman to disarm some man she was preparing to overwhelm.
v Oliver Goldsmith
They may talk of a comet, or a burning mountain, or some such bagatelle; but to me a modest woman, dressed out in all her finery, is the most tremendous object of the whole creation.
v Aristotle Onassis
If women didn’t exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.
v Gilda Radner
I’d much rather be a woman than a man. Women can cry, they can wear cute clothes, and they’re the first to be rescued off sinking ships.
Princess Diana. The Greatest Example of Beauty and Elegance.
v George Eliot
A woman’s hopes are woven of sunbeams; a shadow annihilates them.
v Stanley Baldwin
I would rather trust a woman’s instinct than a man’s reason.
v Simone de Beauvoir
One is not born a woman, one becomes one.
- Mae West. From the book High Exposure, “Found Photos from the Archives of the L.A. Times.” (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Ian Fleming
A woman should be an illusion..
v Mignon McLaughlin
Women are never landlocked: they’re always mere minutes away from the briny deep of tears.
v Robert Brault
Through sources, we have obtained the following alien assessment of the human species: The male wants to be valued for what he pretends to be. The female wants to be overvalued for what she truly is.
- Hermione Gingold (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Hermione Gingold
Fighting is essentially a masculine idea; a woman’s weapon is her tongue.
v Joseph Conrad
Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.
v Janis Joplin
Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.
v Martina Navratilova
I think the key is for women not to set any limits.
- Martina Navrátilová (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Rosalyn Sussman
We still live in a world in which a significant fraction of people, including women, believe that a woman belongs and wants to belong exclusively in the home.
v Virginia Woolf
As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the whole world.
v Mae West
When women go wrong, men go right after them.
v Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
I do not wish women to have power over men; but over themselves.
- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Ellen DeGeneres
I really don’t think I need buns of steel. I’d be happy with buns of cinnamon.
v Mary Mcleod Bethune
Whatever glory belongs to the race for a development unprecedented in history for the given length of time, a full share belongs to the womanhood of the race.
v Ville Valo
Women are always beautiful.
v Rudyard Kipling
A woman’s guess is much more accurate than a man’s certainty.
v Charlotte Bunch
Feminism is an entire world view or gestalt, not just a laundry list of women’s issues.
v Bella Abzug
The test for whether or not you can hold a job should not be the arrangement of your chromosomes.
- Ellen DeGeneres at the 1997 Emmy Awards. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Maya Angelou
The sadness of the women’s movement is that they don’t allow the necessity of love. See, I don’t personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed.
v Rebecca West
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.
- Rebecca West (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Anne Morrow Lindbergh
By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacation-less class.
v Samuel Richardson
A beautiful woman must expect to be more accountable for her steps, than one less attractive.
v Loretta Young
A charming woman doesn’t follow the crowd. She is herself.
- Publicity photo of Loretta Young from Stars of the Photoplay (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
v Toni Morrison
I know what every colored woman in this country is doing. Dying. Just like me. But the difference is they are dying like a stump. Me, I’m going down like one of those redwoods. I sure did live in this world.
v William Congreve
Heaven hath no rage like a love to hatred turned, nor hell hath a fury like a woman scorned.
- One Hundred Year Old Poster for Women’s Day, March 8, 1914 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Марка СССР Womens Day Study Michel 1322 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Марка СССР Womens Day Sport Michel 1323 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Марка СССР Womens Day Harvest Michel 1321 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Марка СССР Womens Day Microphone Michel 1320 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
- Some women symbolize a unique combination of super intelligence and mesmerizing beauty. Hedy Lamarr was the most beautiful actress and the genius inventor of wireless communication in 1940′s.
dshenai.wordpress.com © 2014